Friday, March 4, 2011

Looking Hot While Traveling (Female Version)

The term "backpacker" rarely conjures up images of Gisele Bunchen or Scarlett Johansson look-a-likes. Rather, it usually projects one of those "one with nature" girls, who will forgo their make-up case for extra space in their luggage to pack their hiking boots. I mean, guys have it lucky considering how for them, prolonged backpacking trips generally just leads to a better tan. And even if they forget to shave and get all hairy, if they resemble Ewan McGregor at the end of Long Way Down, it's still pretty hot.

Consequently, if females abandoned any sort of beauty maintenance in favour of achieving that intimate connection with nature, the outcome might not be so pretty. While the tiny communal bathroom at any given hostel around the world isn't the best place to give yourself an exfoliating facial, or do a smokey eye, there are many ways to look good effortlessly. Below are five products I love for quick fixes to looking good on the road.


Bare Escentuals Mineral Foundation
1. Mineral make-up
Mineral make-up, especially foundation is great because it's free of preservatives and super light. It gives you a nice natural look, and helps to hydrate your skin, preventing that horrible flakey make-up look. I'm personally a huge fan of Bare Escentuals because it provides some SPF coverage, and the ingredients they use are so pure, you can sleep in it! Perfect for road trips, long nights of partying, and time spent with the foreign hottie (FH for short).



My favourite pair of wedges from Spring
2. A Pair of Wedges 
The last thing you want to pack for backpacking is a pair of stilettos - they're uncomfortable and you might wear them once or twice during your entire trip if you're lucky. A better alternative, is a nice pair of wedges. They're as comfortable as wearing flats and a great way of adding a few inches to your height. What's more, they won't hurt your feet while exploring a new city during the day, great for dancing at a club at night, and the wedges are thick enough to inflict pain to use for self defense if needed.




Leighton Meester, thegloss.com
3. Red Lipgloss 
Red lipgloss is always my go-to if I want to look dressed up but am pressed for time. It literally takes ten seconds to put on, and makes you look and feel instantly glam. If you're limited in space and can only bring one make-up product, I would definitely recommend this. I prefer lipgloss over lipstick because lipstick can feel heavy and dry out your lips. A good lipgloss however, can keep your lips hydrated and prevent chapped lips. Nice lips will come in handy when you notice that FH is totally checking you out from across the room...





The Body Shop's Tea Tree Facial Wipes
4. Facial Wipes
These are amazing to have if you frequently take long bus or train rides, or flights. All the recycled air can leave your face feeling really oily, and these wipes are perfect for combating potential break-outs. Especially with overnight rides or flights, they are an easy substitute for washing your face. I particularly like the tea tree wipes from The Body Shop since they double as a make-up remover, and help to fight blemishes and unclog pores. First impressions are important right?



Clinique sunscreen


5. Suncreen
Especially for travels to the Southern Hemisphere where the sun's rays are harsher, sunscreen is a must for both health reasons and preventing a sunburn. While we all want a nice glowing tan, there's nothing less attractive than returning home bright pink and in pain.







What are some essentials you love to take with you?

13 comments:

  1. Love it! I used to have some decent mineral make up but have since run out. I look forward to getting more when money allows.

    I'll also have to check out those face wipes... I love tea tree oil anything, such a great substance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I use bare minerals but we can't get it in SA so I'm going to have to switch :/... I'm actually going to do a post on my make-up must haves soon and ask advice on other great make up so that when my stash of BM runs out I will have an idea of where else to look :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect! I think these are great. I have to have mascara too, but that is just me :) Have a good weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tinted moisturiser with sunscreen - a great 3-in-1 for the face! And I'm with TGN above - a mascara tube doesn't weigh you down, and is SO worth it ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. You mentioned some essentials in here! Wedges, facial wipes.. every girl's best friend! How about sunglasses? You gotta need a pair of those too, depending on where you are of course. Good entry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As a female "backpacker", it is a challenge to look glamorous on top of swimming, walking, sweating, bus rides, airplane rides, and everything in between. I want to look good no matter my situation. Thank you for telling me how to do just that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally agree about Commenting Karma! I even wrote a post about it awhile back!

    I am a brand new red lips advocate! Makes you feel pretty in an instant!

    You are a fabulous writer! I was hooked immediately! New follower here! :)

    Stopping by from For the Love of Blogs link up!

    www.forthelove26.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the wedge suggestion!
    I'm a chapstick kind of girl, so I usually will use one with a red tint (burt bees) and it always gives a polished look without having to carry 2 items.
    Also a colored watch or necklace is easy to pack and adds an extra touch to your look, making you more "put together"!

    Happy Monday,

    http://www.thewrittenrunway.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I totally agree with you about wedges. I wear them ALL the time and they dress up my casual outfits perfectly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice post im sure my wife doesnt know about the red lip gloss.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sunscreen, facewipes and mineral make up all the way! Great choices made there!

    .

    ReplyDelete
  13. http://wanderlustshelby.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

commenting brings good karma :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...