![]() |
| (image from scrapetv.com) |
One of the biggest stresses I find about traveling happens before you actually travel - the airplane luggage requirement. Usually, the better the flight deal, the less you're allowed to carry. Being the savvy travelers that we are, that usually means we're left to figure out a way to fit our life into a bag that weights less than 23kg (50 pounds).
I know I've definitely had my share of panicking in line, hoping I'll get the "nice looking" airline assistant who will let me slide by with an extra pound or so in my luggage.
Hopefully none of you have to resort to that! Then again, if you're like me, this post should help you out. Here's some tips below.
1. Carry-on items are key! Most airlines allow either a laptop bag or purse, and one extra carry-on. They usually don't weigh the carry-on bag, so here's your chance to shove all your heavy electronics, boots and bulky travel guides in there. If your laptop bag or purse is big enough, shove your stuff in there as well.
2. Don't pack more than you need. This sounds a bit self-explanatory but most of us pack way more than we need. I'm planning on writing another post on this, but for now, keep in mind things like 1 sweater, 1 jacket, 4 shirts, 2 shorts, 2 pairs of pants will suffice, no matter how long your journey (I promise!!)...just make sure you pack lots of underwear!
3. Make friends with locals when you travel. They're usually more than happy to let you leave some stuff at their place. This really lets you take advantage of super cheap domestic flight sales, since most these flights only allow one carry-on bag. Just make sure you buy your friend a drink when you get back :)
4. Smile at the airline buggage check-in assistant. Usually if they like you, they'll let you pass without an extra fee despite being slightly over the limit. Hey, it does work!
5. Buying a luggage scale is also great. Saves you the hassle of praying in line :)


Hey, great advice! Especially about taking too much stuff!! A rule that works for me is to lay out all the stuff I think is absolutely essential on the bed - then halve it!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you found it useful! And that's a great idea as well! :)
ReplyDeleteWow, I wish I had seen this advice for the last trip I went on! That luggage fee was insane!
ReplyDeleteBuying a decent bag for your laptop can turn into an epic quest if you're at all picky—there are a hundred bulky or badly built bags our there, and some flat-out ugly ones that look like they were designed by camels. A member of Ask Metafilter posted the following request earlier today: "I need a bag for a man with a computer." His qualifications included that it should be padded, stylish, affordable, and not too bulky.
ReplyDeleteogio travel bag canada