Here's a thought... One thing I always find strange in travel guide books are the "useful" phrases section they have in the back of the book. I mean, while the concept of it is great since they teach you how to say things like "where is the nearest bar?" and "I'm not American, I'm Canadian," to make your trip more enjoyable, I've always wondered how useful it is if you don't speak their language, how the hell are you suppose to understand what they say back to you?
For instance, you may have mastered how to say different things in Finnish, but what good is it if they reply with something like...."sgdtää åjjjjjtääd jsääwäfjää fjååkkk veckoslut!"
That sentence actually sounds quite rude, doesn't it?
(Also, I love Americans and I'll post some photos soon!)
Haha, good point!! Maybe they need to include an add-on phrase like 'Mime your answer because I won't understand it' or 'this is the only thing I know how to say in your language'!!
ReplyDeleteBut then, some things don't need a verbal answer - the only satisfactory response to 'a glass of champagne please' is to immediately put one down in front of the person asking!!!
haha you're so right!! :)
ReplyDelete