Have you guys ever been in a situation where you have to make a really difficult choice in choosing between something? Sometimes it's easy like choosing an ice cream flavour (buy both, then go to the gym), or choosing between a cute boy (date both but don't let the other find out), but every once in awhile, there comes a situation where money or hidden love text messages just won't solve...
I feel really conflicted. I know I've been talking constantly about my exciting new job as a flight attendant, which starts in May, but I feel like I'm starting to have some doubts. A month ago, I was hired at another company and I've been getting large paychecks that I really enjoy (who wouldn't?). The hours required for each job conflicts with each other, which is forcing me to choose between one or the other. It's a pretty tough call. What do you guys think?
Flight Attendant job
Pros:
- I get to be in the travel industry
- I'll have lots of exciting stories and get to travel a lot this summer
- I'll meet lots of amazing people
- It's something I've been excited for, for a really long time
- it's an opportunity not many people get
- will look cool on my resume
- I had to go through a lot of interviews to get this job!
Cons:
- I have to go through 6 weeks of training before I'm officially hired to fly
- I heard that training consists of a lot of tests and I'll need a 90% to pass, which can be quite challenging (Also if I don't pass, I'll be out of a job this summer!!)
- Still have to pass a language test, and while I can speak conversational German, the more airline terms they use in the test, the more likely I'll fail
- Significantly less pay
- layovers might be too short to actually see the city I'm in
- I might not get those exciting flights I want to Europe, and instead get stuck with domestic flights
- Because it's a summer job, I'll have to go job hunting again in September
Current Job
Pros:
- I can easily work over 40 hours/week
- good pay
- Customers can be frustrating, but pretty laid-back work environment, managers and people I work with are nice
- I get to set my own breaks and lunch time
- will have enough money to pay back all my student loans and have enough to move to Germany by next April (when I graduate!)
- with the amount of extra money I make here, I can just book a flight and backpack across Europe for a few weeks this summer
- Also went through a lot of interviews to get this job!
Cons:
- I'm not a big fan of this industry
- no traveling in the job requirement
- a lot of customers don't speak english which can be frustrating
- have to wear an ugly t-shirt
- weird customers who hit on you (although I can probably say the same with the FA job)
The lesson learned is of course to only apply to one job at a time from now on, and to stop wearing short skirts to interviews.
Hmmm that is a toughy... I was going to say the flight attendent, but then when you think about the fact that you could still take a trip to europe this summer if you keep your current job AND pay off your student loans, it gets a little more complicated..... I think, if it was me, I would prob stay in the job you have now just to get those loans off my back before going to Germany :) - I guess it all depends what you really want though and how good the FA job will look on your resume.
ReplyDeleteGood luck!
xoxo
Jenna
Eh, I'm a sucker for a nice paycheck. But there's something to be said for following your dreams...
ReplyDeleteDifficult one but I'd say stay in your current job.
ReplyDeleteDuncan In Kuantan
iF you're only wanting to be a flight attendant just so you can travel, then I'd say stick it out with your current job and save up money so you can travel - on your own terms at that. Good luck. Life decisions are tough.
ReplyDeleteiF you're only wanting to be a flight attendant just so you can travel, then I'd say stick it out with your current job and save up money so you can travel - on your own terms at that. Good luck. Life decisions are tough.
ReplyDeleteI would stick with the job u have right now because from what I have heard frm some flight attendants they rarely get to enjoy the city they are having layover on. But just bus through various hotels because as u said time is too short
ReplyDeleteThere are also too many risks n ifs.
U can easily save up frm ur current job n enjoy whatever city u want in ur own timeframe
Well those are my thoughts. Ur call. Good luck!
I guess I have the same opinion as most comments here. Ofcourse the idea of being a flight attendant and traveling during the summer is really appealing but it's not going to be a lasting thing. If your long term plans are going to Germany then staying at your current job would be the best choice in my opinion. But only you can really tell what would be best for you. Hope everything goes well. :)
ReplyDeleteI was a flight attendant for a while. I did it to have the ability to travel. Honestly, I didn't get much traveling done. My schedule was so hectic and all of my layovers were too short to see much. I mostly saw airports in different cities and that's about it. The pay definitely sucks, too. I agree with the person that said to keep the well paying job and travel on your own terms. HOWEVER, you could totally love flight attending. I do miss the office. It was a nice view. Also, I did the six week course. A LOT of people did fail, but if you apply yourself it's not that difficult. You will be up late at night studying. If you make friends, though, you can study with them. In the end, it depends on what is important to you.
ReplyDeleteGoodness comes w/ a price but chasing after more money has an even higher one. Now following, come by and say hello :)
ReplyDelete{tara} from Undeserving Grace
Then again, you and your family get first dibs on first class airline tickets if you do go the flight attendant route.
ReplyDelete