Sorry for the lack of posts lately, I've been super busy and things were getting quite hectic the past few days! I hope everyone had a good Valentine's Day, and were able to give and received some love. I know some of you were expecting a big exciting post yesterday, and while that didn't happen...well, I'm about to make it up to everyone with an awesome blog contest!
First of all, the PRIZES!
A Moleskine travel journal with my self designed "Make Love, Not War" hippie girl print as the cover (see left)
AND
A commissioned 8.5"x 11" black & white portrait sketch
CONTEST DETAILS!
Simply post your responses below to the question:
"What is your favourite travel inspired book?"
Please make sure you...
- include your name and contact method
- either follow or subscribe to my blog
CONTEST ENDS:
February 28th, 2011 at midnight
The winner will be chosen at random through a number generator, and announced on my blog on the day after the deadline.
I think this contest will be a great way to promote travel writing, especially since the prize can be used toward writing and recording all your future trips. For the guys, this can make for a great gift for that special someone. Most of all, I highly encourage travelers to keep a journal on the road...it's definitely something great to have and read back on later in life. I work occasionally as a freelance illustrator, so I thought this would be an interesting way of also bringing my art on to this blog. (My portfolio can be viewed here and here).
Good luck everyone!!!

Do you want me to name my favorite child as well (if I had one)?
ReplyDelete"The Sex Lives of Cannibals" -by J. Maartin Troost
Ryan Messer :)
I follow your blog! I don't know if this counts as travel writing, but my favorite kinds of books are historical fiction. I love Sarah's Key (which takes place in Paris during WWII) and the Poisonwood Bible (takes place in Africa). I also love all of Alexander McCall Smith's books, which take place in Botswana!
ReplyDeleteMy favourite travel inspired book is my own travel journal. I love re-reading what I have done on previous trips and remembering the little details that I would have forgotten had I not written them down - I also do little sketches and watercolours in my book and collect little bits of memories as I travel so it's nice to look at those too.
ReplyDeleteLovely giveaway, I hope I win - my travel journal has just about run out!
Other than that, I'm reading a Bill Bryson book at the moment (Notes from a small island) which I'm really enjoying. It's hard to pick a favourite travel book though as I enjoy them all so much!
nice blog u gat dere
ReplyDeleteWhat a great giveaway idea!
ReplyDeleteMy favorite travel book is Honeymoon with My Brother by Franz Wisner, but I must admit that I am also a big fan of Bill Bryson and also happen to be reading Notes from a Small Island now
Hope I win! :)
xoxo
Jenna
Alexandria in Africa (and the authour lives in the neighbourhood too, weird!)
ReplyDeleteMine is the Alchemist :D
ReplyDeletewell, i do not really read travel books, but i read alot of history and that has to do with travel sometimes. One of the coolest was reading the north african (ancient carthage) conquests of Scipio (a roman general). It was great! i read it a couple of years back (in russian), but i could really imagine how things went down, the landscapes, the people, the ancient cities and forts! thats probably one of the reasons why i love ancient history in generaL!!!!
ReplyDeleteOh, pick just ONE favourite? That's too hard! Here are 3 of my more recent faves:
ReplyDelete1 'A Thousand Days in Venice' by Marlena de Blasi (pub 2002)
2 'Crazy White Man' by Richard Morenus (pub 1954)
3 'Voyageurs' by Margaret Elphinstone (pub 2003)
Have a great day!
Sideways: Travels with Kafka, Hunter S. & Kerouac
ReplyDeleteAuthor: Patrick O'Neil
:)
Mine is Everything is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer. It'll break your heart a thousand times over, but it's so beautiful. I definitely recommend it. :)
ReplyDeleteI'm pretty old school - I like Room With a View; it always makes me sigh to think about it.
ReplyDeleteHey! I just found you via FTLOB. I plan on following religiously, as we traveling ladies must stick together :)
ReplyDeleteMy favorite travel-inspired book is probably Eat, Pray, Love. I always get grimaces when I say that, but when I read it I was going through a broken heart like she was, and I was traveling by myself to three new countries like she was, and it really hit home.
Thanks for doing this giveaway, it's a great idea!
Hi! Just came across your comments on one of my posts!
ReplyDeleteOne of my most treasured travel books, now worn and dog-eared after having been past to at least a dozen others, is Frances Mayes's A Year in the World. Mayes and her husband leave their cozy California life to try and find out what it takes to make a home in 12 distinct locations, starting in my new home, Seville, Spain. Through their trysts with landlords, language fumbles and fights amongst themselves, they come to find that a home is really built by the community in which you find yourself in.
Though I've lived in Seville for three years, I decided to move out of my neighborhood and to a part of town that I'd barely even traversed, as well as starting a new jobNow, I'm trying to make it my own and finding Mayes's courage and stubborn perseverance encouraging.
Cat, catherinegaa@gmail.com
I love "Tales of a Female Nomad"
ReplyDeletealifesolovely@gmail.com
In my case, when I write about traveling, I don't write a lot about places. My style is to tell stories about people I meet along the way.
ReplyDeleteIn my opinion, the best part about writing a travel blog is that while you are sharing your vacation with your family and friends, you'll also have a memorable record of your vacation to look back on. Thanks for the information.
ReplyDeleteI wanted to say that it’s nice to know that someone else also mentioned this as I had trouble finding the same info elsewhere.
ReplyDelete